Search This Blog

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Blog Post 6 - Reflection on Learning

When my department offered me ES2007S, I was in a dilemma whether to take this module that consists of 100% CA. I do know that I might make my life difficult if I do so. Judge from the description of the module info, I knew that this module's workload is quite heavy and hectic. However, at the end of 13 weeks after doing ES2007S, I did not regret to take this module, instead I felt that I had brought home a fruitful one, something that allow me to prepare for my future.

In this module, I have learned how to be an active listener as well as a good speaker. I have also learned how to communicate with a person depending on different situation, for instance, to deal with a message that can be same but was relayed in a different situation. In addition, I have learned to interpret verbal and nonverbal communication, like how to use gestures and gist to understand what a person is trying to say. Moving on to intercultural communication, I have learned to understand an individual's cultural background. Since my class consists of students from different countries, it gives me a chance to know more about a person's cultural behavior and background in his own country. Lastly, the adoption of the 7Cs in writing has taught me on how to write more effectively using the 7Cs method.

Besides the technical parts, I had also accomplished peer-teaching session, mock job interview and proposal oral presentation. In fact, I learned a lot from these presentations. The first presentation in NUS is quite an experience to me. I get to learn from mistakes during the peer-teaching feedback session and work towards a better one for the next presentation. Although mock job interview, by name, was not a real job interview, I learned to deal with the situation at some areas where I couldn't handle well, such as dealing with hard question, fluent and natural speaking, and tensed up feeling. Through this mock job interview, I get to know myself a lot more and better than usual and learn to improve myself at those areas. From the experience accumulated in peer-teaching feedback session, I tried to apply it during the oral presentation. Although the outcome is not as good as expected, I find that this is another chance for me to improve myself to be a better presenter, especially on presentation delivery and management of nervousness.

"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." With this quote, I hope that I can be a person capable of effective communication. The skills I learned in ES2007S will definitely be an advantage to me in future.

5 comments:

  1. Hello fellow malaysian,

    I feel exactly how you felt when deciding to take up ES2007S especially if I could cope with the workload. Look at the 13 weeks, you could never imagine you have done so much in so little time.
    Give yourself a pat in your back!!

    I'm glad you have gotten to know yourself even better and being able to communicate with peers from different background. And I did see improvements in your presentation as well so keep on improving, I'm sure you can overcome your nerves and emerge as a confident person!

    Never give up :)

    Zhing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Partner,

    In my opinion, I feel that you have already stepped out of your comfortable zone to try out new skills such as public speaking and presentation. Public speaking is an art where nobody would master it but only get better at it.

    You have also highlighted that our class consist of people with diverse cultural background. I am sure that it has provided you with different insights which other modules may not provide. More over, you have reflected your strength and weakness where you could work on. This tells me that you have given some serious thought and wanting to improve.

    Nice meeting you! All the best in whatever you do!

    Best regards,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jun Lin,

    First up, since your first blog posts, I see a tremendous improvement in your blogging skills! Thumbs up for that!:D And comparing both your peer teaching session and your oral presentation, I noticed a great improvement in how the message was delivered. Both verbally and non-verbally. This has demostrated how you have learnt from your mistakes and worked on them.

    I am glad that ES2007S has assisted you in gaining valuable communication skills. I also enjoyed your ending quote. By starting small, then we can slowly reach our aim to achieve greater heights. ES2007S is possibly the small step you have taken to be an effective communicator.

    All the best in your future endeavours! Jia You! :D

    See you around in school,
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zhing: Kudos to you too! I really couldn't believe how time flies and how was I able to deal with so much stuff in one time. Thanks for the support and everything else you have implicitly taught me in class. Cheers! =)

    Sam: I have yet to improve my ability in delivering my presentation, but you're right that I am able to get those insights while the other modules may not provide. Thanks for everything that you have shared in class all along, and all the best to you too in everything!

    Genevieve: Thanks for your compliments Genevieve, I look forward to achieving greater heights after the completion of this module. All the best in your future undertakings too! See you around in school too! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jun Lin,

    Thanks for your contribution to the class! You've come a long way since our first session together, and I am glad to know that you see this as a good learning journey.

    Great things are done by a series of small things brought together - I can see the effort you put in, Jun Lin, and I know you will become a more effective communicator in no time!

    All the best for your examinations! Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete